Soldier Settlement Board

The Soldier Settlement Board (SSB) came into being in 1917 with the mandate to provide land for returning WW1 veterans. The veteran would acquire title to the surface, but the minerals were reserved in the SSB name and administered by the Government of Canada.  In 2001, Alberta Justice filed a Statement of Claim on behalf of Alberta Energy for the SSB minerals and revenues earned by Canada on those minerals since October 1, 1930, the effective date of the Natural Resources Transfer Act (NRTA). Alberta believed the SSB minerals should have passed to the province pursuant to section 1 of the NRTA.

Alberta and Natural Resources Canada have negotiated the Settlement Agreement for the transfer of minerals and associated mineral leases from Canada to Alberta on April 1, 2010. The Settlement Agreement provides to Alberta:

  • the transfer and control of 212 SSB mineral titles and 89 associated mineral leases;
  • the transfer and control of 265 other federally-owned mineral titles and 7 associated mineral leases; and
  • a cash settlement of approximately $31.5 million.

Information Bulletin 2010-01PDF icon

Map - SSB and HMQC mineral parcels PDF icon SSB mineral titlesPDF icon Monarchy of Canada mineral titlesPDF icon

Frequently Asked Questions

SSB Forms and Transfers
Gas Remittance Form

Oil Remittance Form

Transfer Form - Federal SSB (Soldier Settlement Board) Lease
Transfers of registered interest in a Federal SSB lease cannot be submitted electronically using the Electronic Transfer System (ETS). This transfer form is used to process the manual submission of a transfer for a Federal SSB lease.

Transfer Transmittal Letter - Federal SSB (Soldier Settlement Board) Lease
This letter accompanies the transfer form for a Federal SSB lease when a transfer is manually submitted.