Natural gas is one of the cleanest, cheapest and most efficient sources of energy. Alberta accounts for 68 per cent of the natural gas produced in Canada.
It is estimated that 31.3 trillion cubic feet of recoverable, conventional natural gas is still beneath our feet that can be extracted. Coalbed methane is natural gas found in coal seams. Alberta’s coal seams could contain as much as an additional 500 trillion cubic feet of coalbed methane. While it is not yet known how much of this coalbed methane is economically recoverable, Alberta’s natural gas supply will meet the needs of Albertans, Canadians and North Americans for the foreseeable future. Another potential unconventional gas source is shale gas. Shale gas is natural gas stored in organic rich rocks such as shale, mudstone or laminated siltstones.
Alberta Energy ensures Albertans continue to receive the full value from their gas resource by promoting and encouraging responsible exploration and development of Alberta’s natural gas resources, and calculating and collecting gas royalties.
In the 2015/16 fiscal period, Alberta received about $2.8 billion in non-renewable resource revenue accounting for seven per cent of government revenue. In 2015/16, natural gas and by-product revenue was $493 million or approximately 18 per cent of non-renewable resource revenue.
Approximately 49 per cent of Alberta’s natural gas production is consumed here in Alberta. Alberta's residential and commercial sectors account for 17 per cent of the province's marketable natural gas consumed in Alberta for home and business heating. The remaining 83 per cent of natural gas consumed in Alberta is used by the industrial, electricity generation, transportation, and other sectors. Natural gas is also an important raw material for the province’s oil sands and electric power generation industries.