​Placer Mining Tool Kit

To produce gold and other Crown-owned placer minerals from Alberta's rivers and streams using a sluicebox or other mechanized equipment.

Summary of Requirements
Acts and Regulations
Information Letters and Bulletins
  • Interactive Maps
    Mineral disposition information available through an interactive mapping program.  This program allows you to select location, scale and map features and to conduct basic searches.  Updated overnight.

  • Online Maps
    Mineral disposition maps in colour PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format.  Default print size 30 x 60 inch.  Updated overnight.

  • Water Body Maps
    Alberta Environment and Parks maps to identify water bodies where placer operations are permitted year round (Class C and D water bodies) or only from May 15 to September 15 (Class A and B water bodies) - Some restrictions apply.

  • Water Advisories and Warnings Map 
    Alberta Environment and Parks maps interactive rivers map to select advisories use the menu box in the upper left corner of the site.



Apply for a Placer Mining Licence
  • Complete and send in application form with payment, or drop off in Edmonton or Calgary. Licences can be issued immediately only if applying in person at the Coal and Mineral Development Unit office in Edmonton.

  • Edmonton's regular office hours are Monday through Friday; 8:30 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. The office is closed for statutory holidays. Starting September 4, 2018 the second floor reception will be closed 9:00 am to 9:15 am, 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm to 3:15 pm daily. We are closed during lunch but, if you are here between 9:00 am to 9:15 am and 3:00 pm to 3:15 pm you can call 780-427-7707 for service.

  • Fee is $50.00 plus G.S.T. for a 5 year licence, payable to the Government of Alberta.

Find out When and Where You  May Go
  • Check the Regulation (Schedule 1)

  • Check with Alberta Environment and Parks for water advisories and warnings. 

  • Obtain permission from landowner or occupant to pass through occupied land.

Sluice for Gold and other Precious Minerals
  • Maximum 14 days in one place.

  • Leave an appropriate distance between operators. 

  • Recreational gold panning in Alberta's rivers and streams using hand-held, non-mechanized equipment does not require a mineral agreement or licence.

  • Placer mining in Alberta's rivers and streams, using a sluice box or other mechanized equipment, requires a Metallic and Industrial Minerals Licence.

  • Placer mining of Crown-owned placer minerals in other locations, such as from sand and gravel pits, requires a Metallic and Industrial Mineral Secondary Mineral Lease.

  • Placer mining in rivers and streams using dredging techniques is prohibited in Alberta.

A Lucky Strike?
  • Pay royalty if more than one troy ounce of precious metals produced and sold in a year. 

  • You may wish to apply for a Metallic and Industrial Mineral Permit to explore or prospect in the area. See the Exploration or Prospecting Toolkit.