Exploration Tool Kit

 To explore for Crown-owned metallic and industrial minerals in Alberta.

Summary of Requirements
Acts and Regulations
Information Letters & Bulletins
  • ETS to apply for a metallic and industrial mineral permit or transfer mineral rights.

Mineral Assessment Reporting Tools
Maps (updated overnight)
  • Interactive Maps
    Mineral disposition information available through an interactive mapping program. This program allows you to select location, scale and map features and to conduct basic searches.

  • PDF Maps
    Mineral disposition maps in Adobe Acrobat format (Default print size 30 x 60 inch).

Alberta Township Survey System
  • Introduction to ATS - for legal land description (Meridian, Township, Range, Section, Legal subdivision

Map Coordinates Converter
Alberta Mineral Information (AMI)
  • AMI searches - Information on requesting and conducting searches. 
Alberta Geoscience Information
Contacts and Other Resources



Check Mineral Rights & Restrictions
  • Check Metallic and Industrial Minerals Interactive Map

  • Obtain AMI Search for specific mineral rights and restrictions

Obtain Metallic & Industrial Mineral Permit
  • Apply through ETS
    • $625.00 Application Fee (+GST if applicable)
    • minimum 16 to maximum 9216 hectares per Permit.
    • Lands must be contiguous (adjoining.)
  • Obtain the permit.
    • 14 years, not renewable.
Obtain Approval to Explore
  • Apply to Environment and Parks for an Exploration License, Permit and/or Approval as appropriate.

Conduct Exploration
  • Contact Alberta Geological Survey for relevant geoscience information and samples.

  • Meet surface operation requirements approved by Environment and Parks, Human Services, local municipality, etc.

  • Meet terms of Metallic and Industrial Mineral Permit.

Prepare Mineral Assessment Reports
  • Expenditure required every two years:

    • Yr 1-2 $5.00/ha

    • Yr 3-4 and Yr 5-6 $10.00/ha

    • Yr 7-8, Yr 9-10, Yr 11-12 and Yr 13-14 $15.00/ha

  • Report due 3 months after 2-year period ends.

Reduce Permit Area
(if applicable)
  • Request reduction by letter to Coal and Mineral Development, Alberta Energy, any time in permit term; or

  • Include reduction in mineral assessment report, especially if work expenditure is less than required.

Transfer Mineral Rights
(if applicable)
  • Transfer Application and letter to Alberta Energy.

Terminate Permit
(one of the following)
  • Cancel Permit by letter to Alberta Energy, Coal and Mineral Development.

  • Permit Expiry, Alberta Energy notifies permittee after expiry

  • Apply for Lease
    Must hold permit for minimum 2 years. Lease is for developing and producing confirmed mineral deposits.